Application letter
Friday 14 September 2012
Blk 276 Choa Chu Kang Avenue 2
#09-303 Singapore 680276
(+65)96568966
leeyongsheng.90@gmail.com

10th September 2013

Mrs Jerusha Ang, Group Human Resource Director
Human Resource Division
JTC Corporation
The JTC Summit
8 Jurong Town Hall Road
Singapore 609434


Dear Mrs Jerusha, 

I am writing to seek career opportunities in the field of statistics. I am very interested in working at JTC Corporation, the position of a statistician in your organization. I truly hope that I can be working as a part of your team in conceiving developments in the national economic growth for the future. 

I will be graduating from National University of Singapore (NUS) in May 2014 with a Bachelor Degree in Science (Statistics). At NUS, I have developed a very unique education experience that has combined the theoretical and computational aspects of statistical studies. With these, I have learnt how to conduct good statistical surveys and produce accurate statistical analysis on data collected. I am also proficient with the use of statistical software prevalent in this field, particularly R, SAS and SPSS and also with software like Microsoft Office.

Being the vice-director of the Sports Committee in NUS Faculty of Science as well as the Company Sergeant Major in the Singapore Boys’ Brigade as my co-curricular activity in secondary school, I have developed a strong sense of leadership in terms of leading by example and giving clear instructions. Also, I was a player of the school badminton team in Junior College in which I have developed the quality of fighting spirit and effective teamwork. Having experiences in participating in both the uniform group and sports team, I am equipped with the ability not just to work independently for analytical work in statistics, but also to work in a team to solve problems. Furthermore, I have been giving private tuition for the past five years and I believe that balancing work with study has groomed me in becoming a person with good time management and organisational skills.

Thank you for considering my application. I would find the post of a statistician in your organization very worthwhile and challenging, and I hope to receive a favourably reply from you.

Yours sincerely,


Lee Yong Sheng
posted by yongsheng at 07:30 | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 17 September 2012 at 22:23, Blogger Unknown

    Hi Yong Sheng,
    You have effectively highlighted your strengths in you cover letter. However,these strengths are relatively common and may not be sufficient to leave a lasting impression on your employers. Nevertheless, I like the way in which you link your achievements to a particular characterisic you have.
    In general,I feel that you have effectively branded yourself but your application letter can be improved with qualities that make you unique from the rest of the applicants.  
  • At 29 September 2012 at 08:17, Blogger Han

    Hi bro,

    Your cover letter is written very professionally, your grammar has improved by leaps and bounds and you definitely highlighted relevant achievements. Nonetheless, here are a few details that you might like to look over:

    -I wasn't comfortable with putting up my address and number on my own blog post, because it was too publicly accessible for me. Would you like to put a proxy address and phone number instead of your own real one?

    -Instead of Mrs Jerusha, do you mean Mrs Ang?

    -JTC develops and manages industrial infrastructure. If you could bring up any relevant interests or experiences, it would demonstrate your relevance to the company's main objective and it would show that you did your research.

    -"...interested in working as a statistician at JTC Corporation. By joining the team, I hope to play a part in supporting Singapore's economic advancement through developing our industries." The last sentence, I took it off the corporation website. Large companies like this usually have very nice, fluffy, professional-sounding statements that you can adapt (of course, don't copy wholesale) into your cover letter.

    -"I am proficient with the statistical software prevalent in this field..."

    -Once you start taking up more activities, you can gradually replace your more outdated achievements to create a really awesome letter. Local guys are a bit disadvantaged in this sense because our 2 years of conscription experience is usually heavily discounted by employers.

    Thanks for posting and all the best for your application!  
  • At 29 September 2012 at 08:22, Blogger Eric Linardy

    Hi Yongsheng,

    This is a well-written application letter. You have expanded on your academic qualification and how it can contribute to the corporation.

    One question though: Does your "unique education experience" is really unique or is it shared with many other students who also study statistics in NUS? It is necessary that you expand on what specific aspects of your education that makes you stand out from the rest. You also need to show how this unique experience will specifically contribute to JTC.

    Although it is great that you are able to relate your army experience to your personal qualities which can contribute to the organization, it will be great if you have a directly related experience such as working as intern statistician for some organization.

    All the best!  
  • At 10 November 2012 at 00:41, Blogger yongsheng

    Thanks all for the comments on my application letter. I have revised it to make it even more appealing to the readers! Personally I felt that I am rather constrained with my experiences as i am only a Year 2 student currently. However, with the time to come, I believe I will have more fantanstic things to add in to my application letter as well as my resume to make it even better than it is now. Thank you!:)  

Post a Comment

~ back home